The reference attorney can review your paperwork before you go to court and walk you through the steps of requesting an occupational driver's license.

Click here for the Occupational Driver's License Steps

You can schedule an appointment with the ODL reference attorney if your case will be filed in Travis County courts.

Call (512) 854-8677 or visit the Law Library on the first floor of the Ned Granger Building, 314 West 11th Street, Suite 140, Austin, Texas 78701(map).

Between 30 minutes and one hour.

  • A copy of the court order suspending your driver's license or the notice of suspension from DPS.
  • Certified Abstract of your driving record from DPS (Type AR) (Go to and choose "order driving record." Here you can purchase a certified abstract of your complete driving record (Choose Type AR). If you don't have your driver's license, you will need to download the request form and mail it to DPS. It will likely take 3-4 weeks to get your driving record.)
  • SR-22 proof of insurance from your insurance company
  • Proof that you need to drive to go to work, school, or perform essential household duties, etc.

Examples of proof: your school schedule or registration, a current pay stub, a letter from your job, or an affidavit (sworn statement) explaining your need to drive.

No. For legal representation or legal advice you should hire an attorney.

The Lawyer Referral Service (512) 472-8303 can help you find a private attorney. If you are low income, you may qualify for free help from Texas RioGrande Legal Aid (512) 374-2700. Regardless of income, you may obtain free legal advice at the Evening Legal Clinics.